Support Our Cause!

Check out our new T-shirts for sale! Details on the sidebar.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 21, 2007


Long time, no update. I know! But, I’m still in need of a volunteer Web master! Again, if you know anyone or if you are someone that has the know-how, time and willingness to assist keeping this Web site active, please contact me. For now, I'm trying out this new blogger tool, so consider this a test, not of the emergency broadcast system.

I am so excited to tell you that Tuesday, June 26th Danny will begin the Beyond Therapy Program. You have no idea how encouraging this will be to all of us. We received word weeks ago which has been both a blessing since we had a secure start date, but also was difficult because it was so far away. Now, with just five more days, my stomach has starting to churn with excitement to see how this is going to improve our lives.

At the same time, I realize that I may contribute to this "putting all our eggs in one basket" idea that may come back to bite me. I believe that somewhere in Danny is a fear that this program may not work. What happens then? I hadn't thought of that in all my ramblings about how this is what we've been waiting for and how this is the program that is going to get him walking, etc. However, in my heart, I know that Danny will walk this year. It is a hope that the Lord has planted in me and I can't let go of it. Yes, it is true I suppose; all our eggs are in this basket called Beyond Therapy and the folks that will be Danny's team.

Two weeks ago, Danny seemed very dark in his demeanor. It was difficult to encourage him at all no matter that we had a start date for BT. Even last night, he told me that it felt like a dream that was never going to come true. It does feel like forever, but again because we've put such an emphasis on the effectiveness of BT. I can't wait to see how quickly Danny will progress and where those improvements will be; the left arm? right leg? trunk control? How will this affect his attitude, his mentality, his spirit. My prayer is that as the Lord returns Danny to a sound body, that He also return Danny to a sound mind and spirit. It is more important that Danny's mind and heart be in the right place than for his body to work normally.

The good thing is that Danny recognized the fact that he was really down in the dumps. With no prompting, he asked if he could go back to counseling regularly. One, he remembered that he was going to counseling and with whom. Two, he had the intuition to identify the problem and initiate a solution. This is huge improvement and I believe is something we're coming to see on a more consistent basis. Praise the Lord!


Since the last post, I turned another year older and am now in a new decade - the 30's. I don't feel 30 years old and remember at 16 thinking 30 was so old. Now that I'm here, it's not so bad. I certainly pray that my 30th year on earth is better than the last two!


Loida is doing wonderfully. She has recovered remarkedly well and sees the doctor every few weeks for her "fill-in" as part of her reconstruction. Doctors inserted a saline implant that is gradually filled and then when all is right, they'll insert a more permanent silicon implant. This surgery should be sometime in August and is apparently not bad at all since the pectoral muscle is already stretched. So, Loida has slowly been adding more normal activities back in her daily schedule and Corbin is so glad that Abuela can play with him more.

Corbin is the cutest little boy in the whole world. I know I'm prejudice, but how can you deny it? He continues to move towards his independence and his appropriate "terrible two" behavior. Corbin now sings regularly or wants to be sung to, he just adores music in general and "go" which is his word for car. His vocabulary is expanding so quickly and he retains so much. I have to remind myself sometimes that Corbin doesn't have a brain injury like Danny. Kids remember so much more than we give them credit for. Overall, the boy is the best. Danny continues to increase his interactions with him and thus Corbin returns the favor. Danny thinks of Corbin when he is out shopping and apologizes for not being able to help me or Corbin when something is wrong. Danny has grown into his role as father. It is so wonderful to witness and I don't have words to match the pleasure in my heart.
Just before I close, I do want to tell you that the 2nd Annual Chopper Golf Classic has been planned for August 20th at Marietta Country Club. A planning committee has been formed and I hope to get more information on how you can participate soon. But, in the meantime, if you feel led to play, sponsor, donate prizes or service, or just volunteer, please mark it on your calendar and I'll get you a contact name and number.
As I close, the most important request I have is that you pray for this new chapter in Danny's recovery. Danny's attitude going into this needs to be positive, he will need encouragement and motivation to work through the physically demanding regimen. Please pray that Danny will see results that prompt him to continue fighting to recover and that he will learn that it is the Lord that is working through him. Please pray for us as we work to support him and help him through this time and that we have wisdom to help Danny make the best decisions. Also, a big request from me is that you send Danny emails of encouragement. I know several of you have already, but it is this time that Danny needs to hear from you all the most. So, let's really join together to let Danny know what a support team he has all over the world. I will be forever grateful to you.
Allison "excited beyond measure" Diaz

1 comment:

dobeman said...

Danny & Allison,

As a long time (but not full time) Mt. Paran North visitor, I saw the golf tournament listed in this week's announcement. I'm going to do my best to get out and play and if I have to miss work on a Monday to do it..well, oh darn!

My prayers go out to you both. As someone who has had two back surgeries (1 in my 20s and one in my early 30s) I can at least empathize with the helplessness that you feel being unable to do the "normal" daily things. Take care, stay positive and love your children with all your might.
-Chris